Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 23:28:28 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To:        "Alexey V. Neyman" <avn@any.ru>
Cc:        "Eugene M. Kim" <ab@astralblue.net>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old compiler (3.3-stable -> 4->stable)

 Wed, May 16, 2001 at 11:41:59, avn (Alexey V. Neyman) wrote about "Re: Old compiler (3.3-stable -> 4->stable)":

> >It is better now to do binary upgrade from 3.x to 4.3, if your Internet
> >connection allows to download `bin' package (~50M). (But for mergemaster
> >you must untar or cvsup full sources.) Upgrade via `make world' will
> >fail in too many places, such as perl, gperf & groff, kernel...
> I found the following sequence to be rather fail-safe:
> 3.5.1-R -> 4.2-R -> 4.3-S, I tested it a few times and it have not failed
> me.

Of course, but is upgrade from source such important to you, preferrable
than having secure system? 4.2-R is insecure, and you must use one additional
make_world step which makes your system containing well-known holes
for a few hours. I don't discuss here possibility of such way, but say
that binary upgrade is better now.

One can also compare this with the way needed to upgrade via make
world chain from 2.2 to 4.3: one of the steps is 3.0, which is both
insecure and unstable. I don't know any server in my epsilon environ
which was upgraded from 2.2 in such way. Only binary upgrades.

/netch