Date:      Wed, 30 Apr 1997 08:01:22 +1000 (EST)
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freefall.FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Swap leaks (was Re: Memory usage on NFS server)

On Tue, 29 Apr 1997 10:03:57 +0200 (SAT), John Hay
<jhay@zibbi.mikom.csir.co.za> wrote:
> Inn then typically show a usage of
>~70M according to top, but as soon as I kill and restart it the swap
>usage go down to ~5M.

Some of the BSD/386-derived Unices have a memory leak in the VM
subsystem which matches the above behaviour: When a process fork()d
whilst the system was paging, swap space allocated to the child was
not released until the _parent_ exit()d.  This primarily bit long-
running daemons that fork() regularly: cron, inetd, innd and sendmail.

I thought FreeBSD 2.1 and 2.2 included fixes for this VM problem.
Can someone please confirm this.  (In which case John's problem is
something else).

Peter
--
Peter Jeremy (VK2PJ)                    peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au