Date:      Tue, 03 Feb 2009 14:30:14 +0200
From:      "DA Forsyth" <d.forsyth@ru.ac.za>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        SlackWareWolf@comcast.net
Subject:   re: Patching / Updating / Upgrading

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2009 16:37:14 -0500
From: Akenner <SlackWareWolf@comcast.net>
Subject: Patching / Updating / Upgrading
To: freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

Hello all,

> So if anyone could lend a little but in typing out what they use for
> updates and how they go about it, I'd appreciate it. I've already
> gotten a full CVSup file sent to me by a member on here which was a
> great help in deciding how to set up the file. I'm more or less
> wondering with CVSup if I keep using RELEASE or do I use Stable.

use RELEASE for a production server, STABLE on a desktop or test
machine.  IMHO

use CVS if you have to build a custom kernel, I do this on my two
production servers.  On my minimal install print servers, I use
freebsd-update about once a month.   it is a bit fiddly to get
through a proxy that needs auth, but it can be done.

> And of course if anyone uses freebsd-update if they have suggestions
> I'd love to hear those as well :)

it works, it is quick, if you use the generic kernel.

--
       DA Fo rsyth            Network Supervisor
Principal Technical Officer -- Institute for Water Research