Date:      Thu, 24 Dec 1998 15:55:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Ben Manes <anarchy@crl.com>
To:        gummibear@we.mediaone.net
Cc:        newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unix Desktop

> Lately, I have basically evaluating the X Windows system, and I just can't
> figure out why it hasn't been made any easier for average users.  I can't
> figure out why antialiased fonts (such as true type fonts) haven't been
> made the standard.  I can't figure out why there hasn't been a solution to
> the problem of not having a standardized Interface (or a few standardized
> interfaces to choose from when developing applications or whatever - choice
> isn't a bad thing).  I can't figure out why the standard X libraries and
> widget set hasn't been given the 90's look and feel (ala qt libraries).

I'd guess that all of that can't be standardized because UNIX is a mob of
different standards. If some group says here's the standard, do you
really expect Sun, HP, SCO, DEC, BSDs, Linux(es), etc. to all just jump
in and embrace it? The momentum behind Linux is against standardizing,
because to many that's what they conceve windows to be. Once you
standardize, you reduce choice, power, and expandability for greater
functionality. UNIX is slowly evolving in functionality.. but it has a
ways to go and I'd rather developers find ways to make it more user
friendly so any desktop enviroment can be used, but all efficently. Its
harder, but doesn't hinder progress (ie. windows is built on dos to
provide functionality, and therefor both 9x and NT (which has to be
compatable with 9x) are hindered).

> Well actually that's one reason I don't get rid of windows. She also likes
> AOL Instant Messager so she can keep in contact with her family.  The tcl
> version seems to need some work.  I don't know anything about the java
> version to evaluate it.

Tell her to switch to ICQ. Aol bought them, and will likely replace
instant messanger sooner or later. Also, ICQ is working on a X-windows
version (a friend is on a command-line version), so watch for it... ICQ
also has more features..

> I'm just wondering is there an alternative to X Windows?  Has another

I think X Windows is just an artifical name for the UNIX guis. Solaris
and BSD have different programming for their GUIs, but there both X and
run ontop of the UNIX kernals.

> I have also been wondering if a java based window manager can be created

Java is slow, and since X windows is meant as for the person siting at
the workstation, its pointless writing it (or a windows manager) in a
language meant for streamlining the data through a network. C++ is far
faster and so it makes more sense.. and picoJava (a Sun java accelerator
chip) was killed and may one day be integrated into systems, but those
are set-top boxes, handhelds, etc.

Oh, and about being hating christmass.. I know the feeling..