Date:      Tue, 03 Mar 1998 15:47:00 -0800
From:      Hans-Georg Esser <Hans-Georg.Esser@Post.RWTH-Aachen.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD-CD sample for product test in German PC-INTERN magazine

Greg Lehey wrote:

> > Thank you very much anyway. The article on FreeBSD is going to appear
> > in the German PC INTERN magazine this month, assumably 03/18/98.
>
> Might we beg the question what your opinion was?
>
> Greg

Sure, especially as many of you wonīt read the german article...

I started with giving some detailed information about the installation
process and about customization/postinstall using the sysinstall
program.
I critizised the lack of a "German characters" option but mentioned the
link http://www.de.freebsd.org/de/umlaute/ that describes how to solve
the problem.
The documentation (FreeBSD handbook) seems to be a great source of
knowledge, but obviously not intended for the beginner.
I explained that Linux programs can be executed and remarked that the
KDE Desktop can be compiled under FreeBSD as well.

I did not give a "grade", as my insight was not deep enough for such a
purpose. The intention of my article was to show that besides Linux,
there are other OS alternatives -- not doing a qualified evaluation
and comparison with other OSīs.
As I am more experienced with Linux (or should I say I had next to no
experience with FreeBSD except from installing and un-installing an
older
version one or two years ago), I thought it unfair to say that I found,
many things went easier with Linux - so I did not...

After the article there is an interview with Christoph Kukulies,
Andreas Klemm und Joerg Wunsch, which is longer than the article
itself (and in my opionion also is more interesting than the rest ;-),
where we discussed some interesting topics, such as: What are the
advantages
of FreeBSD over other Unices, etc., FreeBSD license vs. GNU GPL, ports
collection, ISDN, filesystems, changes in 3.0, ports to other processor
platforms.

These are the main contents of my article.
If someone wants to keep me informed about significant news, I might put
some small information in a regular FreeBSD box (though, only if my
editor
lets me do so). The main topic of my rubrique is Linux.

The WWW address of the magazine is http://www.pcintern.de, but their
home
page is rather poor: you donīt get much more than a table of contents...

Hans-Georg

--
Dipl.-Math. Hans-Georg Esser            WWW: http://home.pages.de/~hge
Bungert 1                    mailto:esser@i2.informatik.rwth-aachen.de