Date:      Tue, 14 Jan 1997 17:25:41 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        rtaylor@mpcs.com (Rob Taylor)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth Manager/Limiter

> I've seen alot of talk about Bandwidth Managment and found a commercial
> package (of which I couldn't even get the demo to compile into the
> kernel).  But have found no economical solutions for this.   Are there
> any bandwidth management utilities, tools, patches to the kernel out
> there that are affordably priced (under $200)?    Our application has a
> low ROI so sinking $500 into such a project just doesn't seem feasable.
> However we could definatly use an application which allowed us to limit
> bandwidth to a specific IP address.   If anyone is working on such an
> application or patch please let me know.

my "dummynet" stuff can be used as a generic bw limiter for TCP (note -- TCP
only, not all IP traffic). It is pretty much straightforward to make it
work on specific IP addresses. It requires a little bit of more work to
move it down the protocol stack to apply to all IP traffic, or to all
traffic through a specific interface.

If you want to try it, it's available from my page

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/research.html

I have been using it on my personal workstation (2.1R) for 4 months
now, so I'd say it is pretty stable!

	Cheers
	Luigi