Date:      Wed, 29 Mar 2000 10:35:31 +0200
From:      Pieter Westland <pieterw@euronet.nl>
To:        Allan Saddi <asaddi@philosophysw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: ppbus problems with 4.0-RELEASE

Hi there,

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 10:10:57PM -0800, Allan Saddi wrote:
> Unfortunately, I can't say that I have a solution. But I have identified
> the problem, in case anyone with more knowledge would like to tackle it.
> Parallel ports located at 0x3bc conflict with the vga0 device, which
> starts at 0x3c0. It appears that the ppc_probe() function in sys/isa/ppc.c
> tries to allocate 8 consecutive I/O ports (i.e. 0x3bc-0x3c3) for each
> parallel port. Since vga0 already has 0x3c0-0x3c3 allocated, of course
> this fails.
> I ran into the problem while upgrading my old 486 system to 4.0-STABLE. I
> couldn't figure out how to change the port range for the on-board parallel
> port. (I couldn't figure out how to get into BIOS!) So I ended up
> installing a parallel port card I had laying around...
> I suppose a special case can be made for parallel ports at 0x3bc, but that
> seems a bit kludgy...

On my machine the same happened after a travel from 3.4 to 4.0; in my logs
I saw this:
Mar 28 23:36:07 dustpuppy /kernel: ppc0: cannot reserve I/O port range

I was just waiting for someone who mailed something about it to the lists
;) Tried to search the mailinglist archives, but they seem not to be
updated to recent mail communication.

However, in the BIOS of my machine I changed the settings for the
parallel port to 378/IRQ 7 and printing is alive again.

Now I see:

Mar 29 10:25:56 dustpuppy /kernel: ppc0: <Parallel port> at port
0x378-0x37f irq 7 flags 0x40 on isa0
Mar 29 10:25:56 dustpuppy /kernel: ppc0: Generic chipset (EPP/NIBBLE) in
COMPATIBLE mode
Mar 29 10:25:56 dustpuppy /kernel: ppbus0: IEEE1284 device found
/NIBBLE/ECP
Mar 29 10:25:56 dustpuppy /kernel: Probing for PnP devices on ppbus0:
Mar 29 10:25:56 dustpuppy /kernel: ppbus0: <DON'T ADVERTISE ON THE
MAILINGLISTS> MLC,PCL,PML
Mar 29 10:25:56 dustpuppy /kernel: lpt0: <Printer> on ppbus0
Mar 29 10:25:56 dustpuppy /kernel: lpt0: Interrupt-driven port

Other question, linked to this: In the bios and in ppc(4) different
parallel port modes are mentioned: EPP, ECP, NIBBLE, with/without DMA,
etc. Which one is preferable? In the docs I cannot find any information
about that.

Pieter
--
Hardware, n.:
        The parts of a computer system that can be kicked.