Date:      Tue, 6 Jun 1995 10:13:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ok, *now* it's End-Of-ALPHA Release Candidate time!

Michael Smith writes:

> Jordan K. Hubbard stands accused of saying:
> > The First trick is "kzip", or the compressed (gzip'd) kernel image.
> > Those familiar with Linux already know all about compressing kernels
> > to save space on boot floppies, and we're doing it now too.  A kzip'd
> > kernel has a small bootstrap which loads it at 3MB and expands it.
> > This is why 4MB machines briefly stopped working a few days back; we'd
> > allowed the kernel to get larger than 1MB, and naturally there wasn't
> > much room left up there! :-) Needless to say, this trick is only good
> > for medium sized kernels..
> >
> > The second trick is "kernmfs", which is a kernel that contains a large
> > pre-allocated array inside and into which a second utility has copied
> > a small root filesystem.  This means that the kernel is now
> > essentially carrying its own root filesystem around with it and is
> > entirely self-contained, given some memory to run in.
>
> At some (later) stage, I'm going to want to talk about these two, EPROMs
> and embedded systems, but I think now is not a good time for that 8)

I've got an EV386EX Intel Eval board for the 386EX that I hope to boot
FreeBSD on.  It has a .5 MB flash for boot and I'll put 4MB RAM in it.

> (btw.  Is it too late to put in an order for a low-numbered limited-edition
> 2.0.5 jordan-wilted-over-the-keyboard picture disk?  If Peter Norton
> can do the unwashed pink shirt, I'm sure we can do you in shorts and
> sandals 8)

For a moment I thought you meant a limited-edition "picture plate".
I can see it now, advertised in TV Guide next to the ST:TNG collector
plate.

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936