Date:      Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:28:35 -0400
From:      dochawk@psu.edu
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        David Banning <david@skytrackercanada.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: make world dies

Giorgogs gyrated,

> > mtree: line 63: unknown user smmsp
> > *** Error code 1

> Your UPDATING file should contain enough information about this one.
> Read carefully through /usr/src/UPDATING and look for `smmsp'.

It should, but it doesn't (unless it's been updated in the last couple
of days).

mergemaster doesn't handle this properly, as the problem arises before
mergemaster is run.  *IF* you updated at the correct range of times,
the entries were properly installed.  If not, it all hangs.

I had to add

smmsp:*:25:25:Sendmail Submission User:/var/spool/clientmqueue:/sbin/nologin

with vipw

and

smmsp:*:25:

to /etc/grpoup to make it all work.

For that matter, I haven't succeeded in getting mail to work at all on
the new machine; when it's connected to the network, It tells me that
it's unable to create ./BunchOFGiberish.

anyway, the above two lines should get a previously running machine to
the point thatthe directions in UPDATING will work . . .

hawk