Date:      Thu, 10 Dec 1998 19:20:24 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        jfesler@gigo.com
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: PAO Integration?

In message <Pine.BSF.4.00.9812101745280.18110-100000@heaven.gigo.com> jfesler@gigo.com writes:
: Solaris on Sun equipment has been doing it a long time.  I can telnet,
: shutdown with a state of 5, and bewm, buh-bye power.   Workstations can be
: turned back on via keyboard; the servers I've used actually physically
: throws a power switch that has to be manually switched back on.
:
: Considering the age of the equipment and the OS level I'm using, I can
: safely say it's been doing it many years :-).

Solaris 2.4 or 2.5 was the first to support soft power off, if I
recall correctly.  In the timeline of unix, that can hardly be called
"traditional." :-)

Warner