Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 2004 10:06:45 -0400
From:      "Will Saxon" <WillS@housing.ufl.edu>
To:        "J.D. Bronson" <jbronson@wixb.com>, <freebsd-performance@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: etherchannel on 5.2.1 - possible?

I have used the ng_fec netgraph module with both broadcom 5703X and
HP NC7170 nics (uses em driver).=20

This is how to set it up:

First you have to have the ng_fec module loaded.

Then,

# ngctl mkpeer fec dummy fec
# ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"bge0"'
# ngctl msg fec0: add_iface '"bge1"'

Obviously replace bge with em or whatever other driver you are using.
ng_fec supports up to 4 links.

At this point, you will have a fec0 interface that you can=20
manipulate normally with ifconfig. I have noticed that sometimes
I have to bring the interface up and down a couple of times to get
it to start passing traffic. Whenever you 'ifconfig up' or assign an
address to fec0 it resets the bundle.=20

One thing that is annoying is that ng_fec doesn't work with vlans. There
is an ng_vlan module that was recently released, but ng_fec doesn't work
with it because it isn't quite like other netgraph modules.=20

Almost all of my freebsd machines use vlans, so I am not making heavy=20
use of ng_fec. We aren't pushing enough data to make it really necessary =

anyway.

There is also ng_one2many which does implement failover and channel=20
bonding but not using the etherchannel technique. I think it uses
round robin.=20

-Will