Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 10:57:06 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@3-cities.com>
To:        Robert Nordier <rnordier@nordier.com>
Cc:        Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading - one more time please

Robert Nordier wrote:

> > I've got a machine running 2.2.7-STABLE which I want to upgrade to
> > the current -STABLE. I also want the full repository.
> > I have a 3.1-RELEASE CD, so I can grab its repository, cvsup, and
> > pull out the latest -STABLE sources.
> >
> > Then, according to Jordan's post, I just go 'make upgrade' and build a
> > new kernel, but according to Mike's post it might not work, according
> > to other people I might have to upgrade first to 2.2.8 and/or do or not
> > do lots of other hoop jumping. Then I look at Ruslan Ermilov's nice
> > tutorial for 3.0-STABLE and it's telling a whole different story again.
> > And there was some murmuring about "installing new boot blocks" a while
> > ago but I don't recall seeing an explanation of what exactly one has to
> > do. I wonder what else I've forgotten and where it might be written
> > down.
>
> We did a number of 2.2.1R to 3.2R upgrades here recently.  Probably
> the simplest approach is to use your 3.1R CD-ROM and install over
> the existing files in "upgrade" mode, preferably after backing up
> at least your own files.  The 3.1R binaries should then have little
> or no difficult doing a "make world" on the -stable sources, once
> you have them.

You want to do this from a floppy boot. At 3.1 the boot became too large
for a single floppy and you have two to create. The bootblocks are
upgraded at the same time when you do the sysinstall upgrade from the
floppy. The upgrade to 3.2-stable is also a big step. The structure of
files such as rc.conf changed with the base file in /etc/defaults and
then incremental changes in /etc. Device names changed and there are new
devices that may need to be created.

Mergemaster makes the 3.1-release to 3.2-stable upgrade much easier.

Kent

> Regarding the boot blocks: if you get an error message when rebooting
> 3.1R, type in
>
>     /boot/loader
>
> at the "boot: " prompt and the machine should boot.  Thereafter, you
> can do a
>
>     disklabel -B wd0
>
> (or equivalent) to install the new boot blocks.
>
> --
> Robert Nordier

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA