Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2002 12:22:15 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Kenneth Culver <culverk@yumyumyum.org>
Cc:        Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Porting libc_r from -current to -stable

Kenneth Culver wrote:
> > I've volunteered to do this port, with the expectation that it's within my
> > ability.  I'm just a bit over my head, but that's how I'll learn, right?
[ ... ]
> Just curious, but what does doing this port get you?

In theory, it should mean that threaded code compiled for -stable
will then run on -current without modification, when someone
decides that -current is stable enough for the changeover.

If the implementation of flockfile/ftrylockfile/funlockfile is
via a library exported symbol, then programs that are linked
shared should "just work", but it will take a lot of hackery
to implement these function in -stable without introducing a
-stable/-stable binary compatability problem, which is normally
deferred until later releases (there would be a libc version
number bump required, which isn't possible, because minor version
numbers aren't supported, and there's already a lot of -current
boxes out there).

Probably, it's better to fix code that expects the functions
that are "missing" and can't be implemented compatably to not
attempt to use them (see other posts in this thread for details
and a URL for the SGI man page for the functions in question).

-- Terry