Date:      Wed, 06 Mar 2002 16:47:59 -0700
From:      "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@softhome.net>
To:        Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
Cc:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: crashes on 4.5-RELEASE

Ian> I actually doubt that this patch could help with the panics you were
Ian> seeing. The only problem this is known to fix is one where you have an
Ian> NFS filesystem mounted, and you load an IPFW rule that blocks outgoing
Ian> NFS packets.

Well, I was heavily hitting an nfs mounted filesystem, but don't have
any IPFW rules so far as I know.

Ian> is it possible that you might have been using some kernel module that
Ian> didn't match the kernel

So far as I know, the only kernel module I have loaded is the maestro3
driver:

bash$ kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1    5 0xc0100000 2fca04   kernel
 2    1 0xc03fd000 8864     snd_maestro3.ko
 3    1 0xc0406000 152c4    snd_pcm.ko
 4    1 0xc1745000 12000    fire_saver.ko
 5    1 0xc1758000 14000    linux.ko

Hmmm, I have fire_saver loaded, but it doesn't work because the laptop
display doesn't do 320x200 video mode... I should turn that off.

Ian> A useful experiment would be to turn off INVARIANTS, undo this patch,
Ian> and check that the panics still occur. It's quite possible that there
Ian> is a hard-to-find bug that INVARIANTS or the sosend patch somehow
Ian> disguise, but it's worth ruling out simpler explanations first!

I'll try this tomorrow when I have physical access to the machine again.

Matt> I think there may still be a bug in xl0, probably something
Matt> that goes wrong when xl0 is unable to allocate a new mbuf.
Matt> This patch makes that far less likely to occur under certain
Matt> circumstances.

I think you're right, based on the PRs in the system associated to the
xl driver... Is wpaul still actively maintaining this driver?  I see PR
	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/22494
from November 2000 (!), but no activity.

	-jan-
--
Jan L. Peterson
<jlp@softhome.net>