Date:      Tue, 9 Jul 1996 11:58:57 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dougal Campbell <dougal@iquest.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Partition table update

I'm out of panic mode with my drive problem. This morning I was able to
mount the drive read-only, and copy the files over to their new location.

In case anyone is still interested, here's a recap with some more details.
It appears that the partition table was damaged somehow. This happened on
my wd1, which was mounted as /usr/local, so I was still able to boot the
system. Previously, all attempts to access the drive, even with disklabel
or fdisk, gave an error stating that the partition table was unreadable.

Because some of the behaviour made it appear that the system couldn't even
see the drive (e.g. sysinstall didn't show wd1 as an available drive), I
thought that I should double check the CMOS settings. Everything looked
fine there. I booted up, then on a whim tried to mount the drive (mount
/dev/wd1s1 /mnt). Got an error saying I needed to fsck the filesystem. Did
that. Found some bad blocks, and fsck couldn't write changes.  Once fsck
was done, I started getting the partition table errors again. But, at
this point I recalled that one of the mount errors I got said that it
couldn't mount read/write.

At this point, I rebooted again, tried mounting read-only, and voila.
After I've gotten all the important data saved, I'll experiment some more.

--
Dougal Campbell     | "No animals or aliens were harmed in the making
Systems Coordinator |  of this film."