Date:      Thu, 13 Apr 1995 10:20:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        pechter@stars.sed.monmouth.army.mil, davidg@Root.COM, FreeBSD-hackers@wcarchive.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: MEMORY TEST PREMATURELY REMOVED?

> > >    The memory test was removed because it took too long on machines with a
> > > lot of memory (a lot is >= 64MB) and wasn't effective in finding real memory
> > > problems anyway.
> >
> > Well, it fixed my wife's OS/2 installation crash problem and her
> > Linux sig 11's.  Turned out to be bad memory.
>
> Time for a boot option, like Sun?

Yea, only the person who needs to implement the real memory test is
AMI, AWARD and Pheonix.  I find it really disconserting that the system
BIOS does such a sh*tty job of self test that programs like Synaptics
DEFRAG program, and others have now gone to putting in there own
memory test code to detect memory problems.

Gee, I wonder how many copies of memory test programs there are in
all of the DOS/Windows software on some sights Novell file server,
just so tech support people don't have to answer the really strange bug
reports from really strange system crashes :-) :-)