Date:      Fri, 21 Nov 2014 17:06:28 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org, John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>
Subject:   Re: I'd like to axe some drivers

--Apple-Mail=_C880F4EE-956A-487C-9B56-01F615F8FB3A

On Nov 21, 2014, at 8:55 AM, John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> On Thursday, November 20, 2014 02:07:52 PM John-Mark Gurney wrote:
>> I'm fine w/ removing these...  Should we do some house cleaning on
>> amd64's GENERIC too?
>=20
> I'd rather not diverge this thread too much.
>=20
>> amd64's GENERIC has a lot of ISA or 100Mbit ethernet cards that are
>> clearly not going to be used on these machines...
>=20
> I think ISA might make sense.  I think 100Mbit PCI ethernet is not as
> obvious.  One of my previous desktops (an Athlon64 machine) had pcn as
> its on-board Ethernet.
>=20
>> My recommended list to remove:
>> ae, bfe, dc, fxp, hme?, pcn, rl, tx, vr, wb, xl, cs, ed, ex, ep, fe,
>> sn, xe
>>=20
>> All of these are modules, so if someone really needs them, they can
>> load the module...
>=20
> One thing that might help is that if pccard grows the same ability as
> USB to auto-load modules on insert (I feel like pccardd did this in
> 4.x, so this might still work via devd now?), we could remove most of
> the ISA drivers from GENERIC on both i386 and amd64 that are nowadays
> only going to be used for pccard (that's pretty much all the ISA NICs
> aside from ie(4)).  (And pccard things still work in CardBus slots, so
> are still possibly relevant for 64-bit laptops with CardBus.)

USB doesn=92t have the ability to autoload, and never has.

Huge, ugly tables of all USB devices are generated and fed into devd=20
as NOMATCH rules to give the illusion that it supports autoload. It is =
really
evil.

pccardd never did do autoload, unless you hacked the default matching
stuff to include module loading.

PC Card devices could do a similar set of evil, since almost almost all =
the
PC Card drivers use a centralized table routine. It could almost be an =
ELF
section of the .ko that could be parsed by a generic NOMATCH program.
But failing that, an ugly dirty script could be written to grep the data =
out of
the source and produce evil nasty Bagginses, errr, NOMATCH scripts.

Forget about it for CardBus cards, because PCI never did do anything =
this
nicely and there=92s a wide variety of ways to match the card extant in =
the
tree.

Warner