Date:      Tue, 10 Jul 2001 21:38:34 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kenneth W Cochran <kwc@world.std.com>
To:        "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+july2001@kew.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated

>From: "Drew Derbyshire" <avatar+july2001@kew.com>
>To: "Kenneth W Cochran" <kwc@world.std.com>
>Cc: <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
>Subject: Re: Tracking -stable remotely/colocated
>Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2001 11:41:13 -0400

True...

>...  don't change stuff you "might want" on your first
>remote production system.  Put only changes you absolutely
>NEED on it, and always test the install process via sshd on
>more accessible (local) machine first.  You blow a remote
>update badly enough, you're to going need that console
>access real bad because you'll be missing a network service
>or disk mount.

I always test locally anyway... :)  And I devoutly RTFM... :)

>(I wouldn't put changes I "might want" on my second or
>third remote production systems either, but that's me.)
>
>If you think I'm trying to scare the <expletive> out of you, I am.  :-)
></IMHO>

Well, maybe...  But I've Been Bitten In the A** by
computers before (lotsa bullet-holes...) so I do have the
heebie-jeebies wrt remote maintenance.  But it appears to
me that it'd be the same regardless of the OS I"m using...

>> "STABLE Releases?"  ??
>
>As opposed to the first release off the 5.x branch.  I
>think a JKH e-mail labeled 5.0 for "early adopters".

Hehe, I'm not running 5 yet even in test... :)

>[...]
>> Hmmm, so in that case, what would be the difference between single-user
>> mode & "multiuser" with lotsa daemons shut-down?
>
>I don't *think* kernel behavior changes (someone correct me
>here!) as you go single user, so the answer is not much.

Need to do more research...

>Sounds like the only two extra things you may want running
>are named and sshd

And maybe not even named...  Especially if I choose to do
everything by ip-address...

Some kind of Handbook or other documentation would be Real Nice Here...

>-ahd-

-kc