Date:      Wed, 06 Jan 1999 14:46:17 -0500
From:      Drew Baxter <netmonger@genesis.ispace.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, doconnor@gsoft.com.au, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: psm0 on laptops.

At 07:14 PM 1/6/99 +0000, Terry Lambert wrote:
>Do you tink the arrival of IRQ 1's that the keyboard controller
>claims are not coming from the keyboard would be sufficient
>notification of a PS/2 mouse arriving?
>
>;-).

IRQ 11 is the PS/2 mouse if I recall.. perhaps I'm fuzzy on what you're
trying to say.  The keyboard is a regular DIN-5 port, the mouse is a ps/2
port.  The bus controlling the keyboard port is a regular 32(?) pin
soldered IC near the upper part of the keyboard.  The PS/2 logic (if I
recall correctly) is handled as a separate entity.

The BIOS also controls if the PS/2 port is active or not.  However if you
have nothing plugged into it, it assumes that the bios setting of (active)
is being used, and thus you never purchased the 'optional cable'.  If
there's something plugged into it, the BIOS activates the port.  So
Enabled/Disabled is really only based on if something is plugged into it,
gotta love that fuzzy logic.  Otherwise IRQ 11 is free.

---
Drew "Droobie" Baxter
Network Admin/Professional Computer Nerd(TM)
OneEX: The OneNetwork Exchange, Bangor Maine USA
http://www.droo.orland.me.us

PGP ID: 409A1F7D