Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 20:25:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kevin Eliuk <root@kevin.sunshine.net>
To:        Nabil Hassan Mustafa <b98045@lums.edu.pk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: System Crash!!!

On Tue, 8 Apr 1997, Nabil Hassan Mustafa wrote:

> I really need to recover some VERY important files on my FreeBSD
> partition...
>
> I have Windows NT, Win95, and FreeBSD currently running on my system,
> each on a separate partition. My Win95 partition was recently infected by
> a certain "natas.mp.1823" virus. I booted from a clean DOS floppy to
> remove it, but failed... the result being that except for my 95 partition,
> the NT, and the FreeBSD partition are lost...since the MBR is destroyed. I
> ran Norton Disk Doctor, and it recovered by NT partition. But it did not
> detect or recover my FreeBSD partition. I tried running fbsdboot.exe, but
> the error was " could not find /kernel " . I tried many boot managers, but
> none detected the FreeBSD partition. I have my project due to 2 weeks. If
> ANYONE can give me ANY information that might just recover some of my
> files from the FreeBSD partition, it would be a great help. Thanks in
> advance,

I'm writing this from memory, when I was in a panic,
but it should give a general overview of what to do.

-1 You boot off of the boot.flp disk

-2 make any configurations as if you were going to install

-3 choose fixit from the menu

-4 choose 2 (fixit floppy)

-5 follow instructions and recommendations

-6 check mount as you would as single user

These are the steps I used to the best of my recollection.

				|    \	     Kevin G. Eliuk        /    |