Date:      Thu, 11 Apr 2002 22:16:24 +0200
From:      Marco Molteni <molter@tin.it>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        joe@freebsd.org
Subject:   build of usbhidctl broken in -stable?

Hi,

I think the build of usbhidctl is broken in stable,
and by this I mean it is not self-contained under /usr/src
but expects to have include files under /usr/include
and the library uder /usr/lib.

If I do a make buildworld I get

===> usr.bin/usbhidctl
cc -O -pipe     -c /usr/src/usr.bin/usbhidctl/usbhid.c
/usr/src/usr.bin/usbhidctl/usbhid.c:50: libusbhid.h: No such file or directory

and this is obvious because I don't have /usr/inlcude/libusbhid.h,
I still have to install it.

so I modified src/usr.bin/usbhidctl/Makefile; I added

CFLAGS+= -I${.CURDIR}/../../lib/libusbhid

but this is not enough, now the Makefile expects to have libusbhid.so
already build:

molter@cobweb[/usr/src/usr.bin/usbhidctl]$ make
cc -O -pipe  -I/usr/src/usr.bin/usbhidctl/../../lib/libusbhid     -o usbhidctl usbhid.o  -lusbhid
/usr/libexec/elf/ld: cannot find -lusbhid
*** Error code 1

I guess this means that src/lib/libusbhid should be built before
src/usr.bin/usbhidctl, but I don't know the Makefile magic to make
this happen.

Am I correct or is my build environment screwed up?

thanks
marco
--
Computers are like air conditioners.