Date:      Tue, 21 Dec 1999 23:47:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Anderson <bunicula@rcn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nis?

nevermind...

i forgot to add the +::::::::  to the passwd file.

odd that i didn't have to do that on the linux or solaris machines. i
don't know nis well, so it's no surprise that i don't follow the different
os implementations well.

does freebsd even use the nsswitch.conf file?

brian

On Tue, 21 Dec 1999, Brian Anderson wrote:

> newbie freebsd question...
>
> i've got an nis domain set up here, to allow (in theory) the irix,
> solaris, linux and free bsd machines to all work happily together.
>
> i've got ypbind running at boot ok... i can ypcat passwd and get the list,
> but the nis users aren't showing up. (unknown login xxxxx)
>
> i created an /etc/nsswitch.conf, with
> passwd: files nis
>
> which is the setup that works in solaris and linux...
>

> so what stupid thing am i missing?
>

> brian

      AAAAIIIIIIIIEEEEE! Evil... Bright... Yellow... Thing...!!
     That must be the Daystar. I've heard talk about it.
                  User Friendly, 12/8/1999