Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 01:17:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
Cc:        Joe Abley <jabley@clear.co.nz>, Kevin Day <toasty@home.dragondata.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: modification to exec in the kernel?

:Joe Abley wrote:
:> I looked at that; however, remember the users will have chrooted access
:> to their directories, and within the chrooted tree will be /usr and
:> descendants containing controlled binaries (owned by someone else, e.g.
:> "root") like perl, awk, sh, etc.
:
:Your security model is flawed. A user can do anything she wants
:(justabout) with shellscript and perl. Picking on compiled binaries
:is not going to make you that much safer.
:
:M

    I think a chroot'd environment can be even *more* dangerous then a
    non-chroot'd environment because critical system configuration files
    will be missing and potentially creatable by the user - if the
    chroot'd environment is based in a user-owned directory and you've
    installed any suid or sgid system binaries, you have an extremely
    serious security hole on your hands.

						-Matt

:--
:Mark Murray
:Join the anti-SPAM movement: http://www.cauce.org
:
:with "unsubscribe freebsd-current" in the body of the message
:

    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications & God knows what else.
    <dillon@backplane.com> (Please include original email in any response)