Date:      Mon, 26 Oct 1998 10:56:04 -0600
From:      Roger Hall <RHall@esigroup.com>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   NIC Config Help

I have a box that was running 2.2.6 just fine (I installed over the
internet - which I was very impressed with BTW). I received my 2.2.7
disk set with the Complete FreeBSD, tried to setup booting into X, and
discovered the "magic number" issue. So I decided to create a new boot
floppy, and re-install from disk 1. Now, my network card isn't found (or
the kernel page faults).

I'm using a 3Com Etherlink II/16 TP, which has a whole row of jumpers.
300  *original setting
310
330
350
250
280
2A0
2E0

DISABLE
C8000
CC000
D8000 *original setting
DC000

Previously, ed0 was found at 300, and I know the card was set to D8000,
but I can't remember how that translates into "flags" in the visual
config editor. I have tried multiple combinations (and two cards), and
it is always either not found or faults (right after sc0, which is where
ed0 is usually probed).

fault virtual address = 0xefc00000
fault code                    = supervisor read, page not present
instruction pointer     = 0x8:0xf01e7363
stack pointer              = 0x10:0xefbffefc
frame pointer             = 0x10:0xefbffefc
code segment           = base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
                                        = DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
processor eflags      = interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process         = 0 ()
interrupt mask            = net tty bio cam
panic: page fault

The NIC IRQ is 9, and I have no conflicts in the visual editor.

Sup wit dat?

(The real pain is that I just convinced my organization that this was
the best solution for a listserver, and after working for a couple of
weeks it's hosed!) :}

TIA so mighty,

Roger Hall
Webmaster