Date:      Mon, 05 Apr 1999 15:20:44 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>, junkmale@xtra.co.nz, FreeBSD Documenters <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Another Installation Guide [was: FreeBSD Advocacy]

> Having said all that, you might want to reconsider.  Or at least consider
> a little bit longer.  Here are some of the attractions that making this
> part of the Handbook can bring you;
>
> <fx: puts on glitzy showman's suit>

Let me just add one more, if I might, and hope that it doesn't make
things even more difficult rather than less so: Walnut Creek CDROM
would also like to hire someone, either remotely or on-site, to start
seriously working to improve the handbook.  We'd like to publish it,
you see, but what's there just isn't publishable yet and it NEEDS to
be published if we're to create a "feedback loop" where some number of
people are actually getting revenue from it and thus compelled to
actively improve the thing.  The Handbook hasn't really had much in
the way of active content addition to it for some time and I think
this is the only way forward for it.  Apathy sure doesn't seem to be
working.

So, by stepping up to the plate with the handbook and doing a credible
job in improving it for long enough to convince the skeptics (me) of
your sincerity and skill, you also run the additional risk of being
offered the task as a paying job, and how's that for incentive. :-)

- Jordan