Date:      Tue, 10 Aug 1999 12:09:01 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        chris@earthbroadcasting.com (Christopher Taylor)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tape backup solutions

Christopher Taylor wrote...
> I'm thinking about using the Spectra-Logic AIT TreeFrog product for
> backups under FreeBSD. Below is a list of backup software that works
> with this product.
>
> http://www.spectralogic.com/isv/TreeFrogpartners.htm
>
> Do any of you have experience with this, or any other tape library
> hardware under FreeBSD? Can I use this product or am I stuck with using
> a single AIT-2 drive?

Most standard SCSI tape libraries should work fine under FreeBSD with the
ch(4) driver and chio(1).

I've got a Qualstar changer with an AIT-1 drive in use daily, an Exabyte
10-i that I used to port the ch(4) driver, and I've even used the ch(4)
driver on an Ampex DST 712 changer.

I've never used a Spectra Logic changer, but it's possible someone else on
the lists has.  My guess is that it will work, but you might want to see if
you can get it on an evaluation basis to make sure it works before you
actually pay for it.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry