Date:      Wed, 25 Oct 2000 09:17:44 -0500
From:      scottmm <scottmm@cifnet.com>
To:        FREEBSD-SCSI@FREEBSD.ORG
Subject:   ahc0: ahc_intr - referenced scb ...

Hello All

I have been using FBSD 3.4 for the last few months, and have recently
run into a backup problem that I cannot figure out.  I am using v 3.4
with a newly rebuilt kernel.  My MB is a Tiger-133 with x2 p3 500's.
The SCSI controller is an Adaptec 2940U/UW.  The devices I have on this
SCSI device are:
SCSI ID 3: HP 12/24GB
SCSI ID 4: Plextor 12/2/20 CDRW

The command I am using is "tar cvf /dev/nrsa0 /mediia."

This is the problem I am having.  The tape starts up and after about 5-7
min I recive the error:

"ahc0: ahc_intr - referenced scb not valid during SELTO scb(0, 0)"

in my newbieness and with an MS background.  I have done the following.
I first wanted to see if the card was bad, and replaced it with an older
2940U.  FBSD generated the same error.  Then I thought it might be the
Tape unit.  I tried a different tape backup (DLT4000) on an external
SCSI cable, with a physical terminator.  I used the same command ("tar
cvf /dev/nrsa0 /mediia."), but after a minute the error came back.  The
SCSI Card is set to self terminate. Transfer rate has been set from 20 -
40 MB from the type of information I have gathered from the man pages on
ahc. I semi-know what the SCB does, but I don't know how to adjust
them.  Somewhere I read that the scb 16/255 is set.  Again I don't know
where.  I don't know if I should attempt to replace the CAM device
driver (again my MS background taking hold) Could anyone point me to
some information on how I can resolve this.

"No matter how noble the cause or how valiant the knight, Some days, the
dragon wins."

I don't know who wrote this, but this dragon is definetly kicking my
ass.

If you read this far, thank you for your time
Scott