Date:      Tue, 13 Nov 2001 16:59:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@heorot.1nova.com>
To:        Scott <scottro@despammed.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 40 and 80 pin cable and UDMA errors

> As I said, judging from deja, it seems to be a very common problem, with
> people often suggesting that the problem is the hard drive.  So, I figured
> I'd post this to let people know that it can often be resolved by simply
> putting in better quality IDE cable, that doesn't have to be
> expensive.  There were enough hits on deja so that I think Ms. Anderson
> should put it in her book's next edition.   :)

	Yep... but be aware though that ANY curves in the cable can be a
cause also. UDMA cables and SCSI cables especially do not like to be bent
at all. If you do need to bend them (and I don't know anyone who
dosen't,:) keep the curves as smooth as you can. Don't tie the cables back
on them selves with wire ties. Don't bend the cable in half. Don't bend
the cable to the point where you need a to crease it to hold the shape.

	Rick