Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:32:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Sprickman <spork@bway.net>
To:        "Peter C. Lai" <peter@simons-rock.edu>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, Adriaan <fbsd.adriaan@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: ZFS on root, serial console install

--0-1173747300-1266276736=:78881

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010, Peter C. Lai wrote:

> I did a pxeboot zfs-root install the other day.
>
> If you copy the dvd to an nfs export as the root mount, hack the requisite
> files to do serial console then you will drop to a login prompt when it
> boots over pxe-tftp. Had no problems setting up zfs root install by
> skipping sysinstall and fixit entirely: setup your ZFS root, then set
> DESTDIR and use install.sh in the individual package dirs.

In short, did you do what I did somewhat accidentally?  I did a netboot,
set loader.conf to mount mfsroot as my root fs.  For reasons I'm still
unclear on, it did not grab mfsroot and proceeded to try and mount root
over nfs (which happened to be exported RO).  It seems like if my nfs was
exported rw, I would have been running with all the tools I needed and the
drives would be available to me...

I'm going to try with rw nfs, currently the machine's locked up as it's
confused about a ro root...

Thanks,

Charles