Date:      Wed, 14 Oct 1998 08:22:24 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell  <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        info@highwind.com (HighWind Software Information)
Cc:        jb@cimlogic.com.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recent 3.0's are Depressing

HighWind Software Information wrote:
> Hmm. Wouldn't statically linking OUR local libc_r into the application
> make it so the changes to libc_r at the customer site not effect us?
> Maybe I am missing something.

Ah, sorry. Yes _customer_ site changes would be ruled out by that. I thought
you were meaning your development system. Are you saying that you can't
duplicate the customer's problem on your system?

>    I suggest that you use CVSup's cvs mode to track the cvs repository and
>    then checkout sources based on date to isolate which changes have bitten
>    you. There are test programs in the tree that were submitted by the author
>    of the signal handling changes. You should try to duplicate your problem
>    using those tests. Providing a ktrace without a thread status dump is
>    useless IMO. All that you've shown is that the thread scheduler can't
>    find a thread to run. The thread status dump should tell you why. I explained
>    that to you many months ago.
>
> Can you review how to do that thread status dump again? I apologize for my
> ignorance.

Send the application a SIGINFO, then look in /tmp/uthread.dump.
If necessary, add a diagnostic thread to check that it gets scheduled
and to look at the threads that are blocked.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137