Date:      Fri, 13 Jun 1997 13:28:55 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange things afoot

I'm installing bisdn-0.97 on FreeBSD 2.2.2, I've used the mkbisdntree
script and patches which are supposedly for current.
Anyway, this isn't the bit that's out of the ordinary (much).

mkbisdntree makes a huge symbolic link tree to the normal /sys but with
some alterations. So I go into /bisdn/i386/conf and edit a configuration
file, run config on it and it makes a compile directory.

So I then go into that directory and do a make depend. After I've then
installed all the extra bits of code it needs which mkbisdntree didn't put
in place it starts giving out

(cpp) died with signal 6.

After a few of these errors (about 20 in a row) make then dies with signal
11.

I get this a lot, this is because ffs_extern.h somehow seems to get
completely corrupted in the patching process, although I can't find
anything in the patches which actually touches this file.

After fixing ffs_extern.h back to what it should be it compiles again, but
then halfway through I invariably end up with make exiting on signal 11.

At this point I usually find it's best to reboot, as everything starts
dieing with segmentation faults or bus errors. (Last time I decided not
reboot I ended up with ls/cd not even working.)

I've been using /usr mounted async for this, but I'm not sure that's the
problem. The problems only start occuring once cpp has crashed really
badly on ffs_extern.h, until that point everything is fine.

Once I've rebooted, it seems to be okay again, (/usr is not mounted async
by default so it's back to normal there) and I'm now able to finish making
the kernel.

So, my question is, does anyone know what might be causing this, I don't
think this is likely to be a problem with my hardware as everything works
fine up to this point and I ran this box with various 3.0 snapshots and X
and played quake on it for a few hours a day for about a month without
problems (well, it was my desktop machine for quite some time, and I'm
pretty sure I used every bit of hardware quite thoroughly.)

I'm thinking this is perhaps being caused by async mounting and excessive
use of soft links, as that's the only thing that's actually different to
the normal everyday use that this box has been subjected too.

Steve Roome
Vision Interactive Ltd.