Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 1997 11:51:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <Shimon@i-Connect.Net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Pppd Drops Under Heavy Load

I have 2.2-BETA, upgraded to -current sometime last week.  The problem is
common to both.

Configuration: 2 PPP Links;

a.  A USR Sportster 33.6 and a on the MB 16550-like UART running at
    115,200 baud. (ccua1)

b.  Motorola BitSRFR-Pro ISDN on a 16550 card, running at 230,400 (frequency
    doubler; it appears 115,200 to the kernel). (ccua2)

Symptoms:  As the Subject says.  After a while, under heavy load, the line
silently drops.  Rarely, I get in the log:

Feb  5 14:51:42 sendero pppd[5589]: Excessive lack of response to LCP echo
frames.
Feb  5 14:51:43 sendero pppd[5589]: Connection terminated.

Or:

Feb  5 13:00:19 sendero pppd[501]: Modem hangup

Heavy Load means; cpio -dump across NFS + cvsup + ftp of large files + smtp
                  It produces about 19 input + 19 output packets/sec.

Another symptom is the cpio -dump across NFS aborts with I/O error.

Now, the modep drop is possible but most likey bogus or unrelated to this
problem as: 1) I get many disconnects without the message, 2) It does
not happen on the same machine under Linux, and 3) It happens on the ISDN
line which is very, very reliable here.

On occasion, I get corrupted FTP transfers, but this is rare.

Thanx for any clue...

Simon