Date:      Mon, 08 Dec 1997 20:25:44 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        Mark Mayo <mark@vmunix.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: X Conferencing: was [hackers:] Architectural advice needed

> FreeBSD has all the tools: Bt948/QuickCam/etc drivers, vat/tel, X11, irc,
> etc. All it needs is an API and some compression (sxpc?). The only
> "feature" the commercial apps have is MMX compression, which does very
> well for audio/video compression. Is MMX under NDA only?

Actually, the whole system of network chat rooms, shared whiteboards,
video conferencing, etc, is already well available using the MBONE
tools, now if only most of us could get *on* the MBONE anymore. :(
CRL, the ISP for Walnut Creek CDROM (and hence me), doesn't pass MBONE
traffic anymore and this situation is mirrored for many other folks I
know of.

I also had access to SGI's "InPerson" teleconferencing software, to
port to FreeBSD and distribute freely (in binary form), but I never
had time to do anything with this and the deal sort of died on the
vine.

"Oh well." :(
					Jordan