Date:      Fri, 10 Jul 1998 11:24:13 +0600 (ESD)
From:      Max Gotlib <max@cca.usart.ru>
To:        Open Systems Networking <opsys@mail.webspan.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions on WaveLan networking...

Hi OSN!

We have a wavelan-powered channel between our academy
and our provider that is situated in 2 miles to the west
from us :) This channel is constructed from:
(our point) ISA WaveLAN AT/2.4G board in i486DX2-66/8M machine
	    outdoor antenna kit with unidirectional ant.
            FreeBSD 2.2.6 patched with INRIA (IPv6) staff
	    and several (my) patches to the WaveLAN driver.
(their point) some kind of WavePOINT radio-hub, directly connected
	    to the backbone network,
	    outdoor omnidirectional antenna kit
	    (i'm not very shure abouth "their" configuration
	     they change it every month :)
We istablished this channel more than 3 year ago. First time
it was Linux(out) <-> NetWare(their) connection. About half a year
we change OS to FreeBSD and they moved to WavePOINT...
As I have figured out, there is the nessessity to patch WaveLAN
driver (FreeBSD-2.2.5 ... 3.0 current) to let it correctly
drive an old full-length isa boards (the one we have)...
If you have any q's - I can try to help you, and as for
the q's you've asked:
> Am I correct in assuming you need the following items to make this
> work:
>
> 2 x wavelan isa cards in 2 freebsd boxen. one at each end.

Yes.

> 2 x wavepoint II MAC bridges for the servers to connect to the hub on
> each end.

No (or you can replace wavelan boards with wavepoints)

> and 2 x outdoor antenna's to extend the range to 5 miles using the
> 915Mhz model?

We use 2.4G staff and according to the documantation it is sutable
to handle up to 5 miles connections (we have 2 miles and it is
"trusted" interval).

> You just configure the WL cards on the server with wlconfig to set its
> parameters, and then configure it as a normal NIC card?

As for wlconfig, you have to use it once to configure NET ID's.
But this can be done (and better done, because wlconfig is not
fully functional yet) with the configuration utility the boards
are shipped with (there is not bad diagnistic utility in their
packageas well) ...

With best regards,
Max.