Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 18:51:08 -0800
From:      "David O'Brien" <obrien@freebsd.org>
To:        clefevre@poboxes.com
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, FUJISHIMA Satsuki <sf@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: port naming convention (was Re: isc-dhcp3)

On Tue, Mar 13, 2001 at 03:35:07AM +0100, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
> some days ago, you asked me to rename isc-dhcp3 to isc-dhcp.

Why???  In case people haven't noticed this is still _BETA_ code.

In fact, your commit to rename the package is bogus.  Either put in a
NO_LATEST, change the package name back to "isc-dhcp3".  The reason I had
it as "isc-dhcp3" is so people wanting to use it could easily do
``pkg_add -r isc-dhcp3''.

If I knew this was going to happen, I would not have dropped
maintainership.

> should ports w/ multiple version be named xxx-old.version and
> yyy-new.version or xxxO-old.version and xxxN.new.version ?

No.  Only if the there is good reason for there to exist two different
versions.  Take ncftp for instance.  Every major version changes the
interface so much, many prefer to stick with older versions.  The two
acrobat's are because some prefer Acroreader v3 over v4.  In fact until
recently, Acroreader v4 would not run on older Alphas.

--
-- David  (obrien@FreeBSD.org)
          GNU is Not Unix / Linux Is Not UniX