Date:      Mon, 26 May 1997 13:53:05 +0200
From:      Stefan Esser <se@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Sxren Schmidt <sos@sos.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, j@uriah.heep.sax.de
Subject:   Re: Controler for SCSI

On May 24, "S\xren Schmidt" <sos@sos.freebsd.dk> wrote:
> While we are on the subject: I just bought two Maxtor 84000 (4gig) drives
> and I plan to play a little with DMA for those (they only do 16.6MB/sec)
> They are pretty fast btw, faster than my Empire and SureStore SCSI2
> disks, I'm surprised they even use less CPU than my SCSI setup (above
> drives and NCR ctrl), not bad at all and CHEAP!!.

While these drives are cheap, no doubt, I'd really see Bonnie
numbers, not just sequential throughput. (And BTW: Neither the
Empire nor SureStore drives are fast by todays standards, it is
not hard to beat them. Compare to my two year old Quantum Atlas,
for a fairer test. Those have been sold quite cheap for about
one year, and the 1GB version appears to be on sale for some
US$210 (+VAT) in Germany, which makes them very attractive for
fast CCD arrays :)

And another BTW: Since the data transfer for the EIDE drive is
mostly done in the interrupt handler, your process just does not
get the cycles accounted. Please repeat the tests and monitor
total system time and interrupt time ...

But I'd also like to have decent bus-master DMA drivers at least
for the Triton and Triton II EIDE controllers. I'm thinking about
buying one, to be able to test changes to the NCR driver, which
I have been holding back for far to long out of fear, my system
might become inoperational, and I rely on it for my daily work ...

Regards, STefan