Date:      Wed, 23 Apr 1997 01:37:42 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Joachim Kuebart <joa@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
To:        jack <jack@xtalwind.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Michael Bangert <mbanger@champion.iupui.edu>
Subject:   Re: IDE hard drives, ATAPI CD's

On 22-Apr-97 jack wrote:
>On Mon, 21 Apr 1997, Michael Bangert wrote:
>
>> >From all the documentation I can read, it seems that an ATAPI CD-ROM
>> must be on the primary IDE as a slave drive.
>
>Not always.  Seems to depend on how closely the drive follows the ATAPI
>standard.
I have a GoldStar 12x "master on secondary" and it works perfectly.

c u Jo

>> I have 2 Hard drives, and
>> one CD-ROM.  If I put the CD-ROM on primary/slave IDE and put the second
>> hard drive on secondary/master,  DOS gets quite screwed up.
>>
>> The thing is, I want FreeBSD to live on the 2nd Hard drive, and DOS on
>> the first.  Am I throwing potato chips into the wind here?
>
>I've run FreeBSD from the first and third of three IDE drives with a
>CD-ROM as the slave/secondary.

I have Win95 on "primary master", FreeBSD "primary slave" and CDROM (as I said)
"secondary master". All that happens is that when FreeBSD boots up the wdc1
probe takes ages (30secs or so...)

c u Jo

FreeBSD                                        <http://www.freebsd.org>;
Top breeders recommend it

Joachim Kuebart                                      <joa@delos.lf.net>
<joa@stuttgart.netsurf.de>          <joki@kuebart.stuttgart.netsurf.de>
Germany                                             Tel: +49 711 653706