Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 15:12:05 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        steve <syoung@idirect.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD hardware Users <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Heat sinks and coolers: grease or pad?

On Wed,  4 February 1998 at 23:33:20 -0500, steve wrote:
> At 03:40 PM 1/29/98 +1030, you wrote:
>> I recently bought an AMD K6/233, and I'm still looking for a cooler
>> which will keep it cool enough.  Today I got a thing double the size
>> of the last (well-dimensioned) one, and mounted it.  It look bovine
>> rc564 3 minutes to overheat the processor.
>>
>> I'm wondering what to do next.  Both this cooler (which claims a
>> thermal resistance of 0.8°C/W) and the previous one have a pad stuck
>> on to the processor side, presumably in order to facilitate heat
>> transfer.  What's the best way to use this?  Should I use thermal
>> grease anyway?  Should I use it instead?  Any other bright ideas?
>
> I have several amd k6-pr2/233 processors (all on dfi motherboards, 586ipvg);
> no heat problems with a (regular) heat sink and cooling fan - you can touch
> the edges of the cpu, it's just warm, not hot.

Thanks for the information.  I've now installed a new, larger heat
sink, and things run fine.

> Note that these processors should be 3.2 volts, not 3.3;  I have more than
> once had some other board pre-configured and 'set' with the voltage too
> high.  The result is burned fingers.

In fact, there *are* some 3.3/3.3V processors out there; I saw them
when I bought mine (which is the standard 3.3/3.2V), and was very
suspcious.  c't (the German magazine) reports that they were specials
(probably half-rejects :-) which were never intended for the open
market.

I think part of my problem was that the motherboard has an "Automatic"
voltage setting, which is supposed to autodetect the chip and set it
accordingly.  When I bought the board, they strongly recommended that
I leave it on automatic.  I've since changed to 3.2V.  I don't know
whether that, the cooler, or the combination sorted things out.

BTW, has anybody seen that AMD had bought out a K6/266?  It's in .25
micron technology, and instead of the 33W of the /233, it only uses
8W.  c't tested it and found it to be good.

Greg