Date:      Thu, 4 Jan 2001 10:06:13 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with Syslog and Stable

* Lawrence Farr <lawrence@epcdirect.co.uk> [20010103 19:10]: writing on the subject 'Problem with Syslog and Stable'
=>I am getting a lot of:
=>
=>Jan  3 16:04:55 frogger syslogd: '/' in "/dev//dev/tty"
=>
=>in /var/log/messages, and my daily run output has:
=>
=>Local system status:
=>uptime: /dev//dev/tty: No such file or directory
=> 2:36AM  up 12 days,  9:55, 5 users, load averages: 0.03, 0.01, 0.00
=>
=>In it.
=>
=>Issuing the w command gives me:
=>
=>w: /dev//dev/tty: No such file or directory
=> 4:07PM  up 12 days, 23:26, 6 users, load averages: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00
=>etc.
=>
=>Im getting this on multiple machines that I have, and all have been built
=>from there own sources to stable on different days/weeks, and a
=>mergemaster -a run.
=>
=>Anyone got any ideas where to start looking?

Sounds quite a rare situation, unless there is a file that you've moved
around while adapting it to each machine - and that file could be having a
small issue within. I'm thinking of a situation where you do not want to
manually edit your syslog.conf for every individual machine and so just
copy one syslog.conf from machine A into machines B and C, which then end
up inheriting the small typo in syslog.conf.

You could start from there but that's a guess.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Cloquet hated reality but realized it was still the only place to get a good
steak. -Woody Allen