Date:      Sat, 15 May 2010 14:41:12 +0300
From:      Kostik Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
To:        Marius Strobl <marius@alchemy.franken.de>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AESNI driver and fpu_kern KPI

--FxsMg9mYBDvYslEH

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 01:04:36PM +0200, Marius Strobl wrote:
> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 01:04:01PM +0300, Kostik Belousov wrote:
> >=20
> > I am interested in the problem reports and reviews. Maintainers of
> > !x86-oids are welcome to provide feedback whether they feel that
> > proposed KPI could be implemented on their architectures, or what
> > modifications they consider as needed to be able to implement
> > it.
> >=20
>=20
> FYI, sparc64 doesn't need such a KPI as it supports using the FPU
> in kernel unconditionally for ages.

How is this done on sparc64 ? Is PSTATE.PEF cleared on kernel entry,
or FPU is disabled ?

When I researched the problem space, I noted that windows on amd64
also provides an unrestricted access to XMM, while not on i386:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff545910%28VS.85%29.aspx
It seems that windows unconditionally set CR0.TS on kernel-mode
entry from usermode.

--FxsMg9mYBDvYslEH

--FxsMg9mYBDvYslEH--