Date:      Thu, 23 Aug 2001 22:04:20 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Matthias Schuendehuette <msch@snafu.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Showstopper in 4.4-RC1 (SCSI)

Hi,

On 19-Aug-01 Matthias Schuendehuette wrote:

> there's a showstopper in 4.4-RC1 as of Sat, 18th Aug, around 18:00 UTC:
>
> My machine stopps booting after submitting the SCSI-Reset command to
> both
> of my 'sym'-Controllers.

Just for information: This was *not* the PCI-Problem (which came soon
afterwards) but a problem with the onboard USB-device (VIA KT133/686B).

I had disabled the USB device since I started using my actual motherboard
(EPOX 8KTA2). A few days ago, I enabled the USB device to see if it was
recognized by FreeBSD but I missed to *enable* an IRQ for the USB-Device.

This produced the boot hang. The last messages from 'boot -v' (which I
used far too late, excuse me...) I could see was:

Device configuration finished.
   device combination doesn't support shared irq0
   intr_connect(irq0) failed, result=-1

After I saw this message I remembered the USB device and disabled it at
once - FreeBSD booted again! Further tests led to the missing/disabled
IRQ for the USB device.

FreeBSD 4.4-RC now
        - boots again
        - probes all PCI devices :-)
        - recognizes USB as well as ACPI
        - operates all ISDN devices again (thank you, Hellmuth!)
        - works like a charm! :-)))

Ciao/BSD - Matthias