Date:      Mon, 7 May 2001 16:38:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Pete Carah <pete@ns.altadena.net>
To:        wayne.pascoe@realtime.co.uk
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Screen brightness on Sony Vaio Z600-HEK

> > Answering this again - perhaps you are trying to use ACPI and it doesn't
> > handle fn-5, or perhaps on the Z600 Sony requires ACPI for fn-5 and
> > you don't have it?
> >
> > I don't yet trust ACPI for the portable...
>
> I have
> device apm0
> in my kernel config and apm works from the command line, but fn-5 and
> shift-fn-5 both do nothing. How can I check wheter or not I have ACPI
> support and how do I use this?

AFAIK, if you don't know you have ACPI support, you don't.  It probably
works only in -current anyhow and is in active development...  I'm pretty
sure ACPI is mutually exclusive with APM.

My current guess would be that Sony tied the Fn-5 support to either ACPI
or some DPMS mode that I don't know about, on that model, either to save
complexity in the environmental control stuff or something.

I use apm on my Sony too.  The only problem I have with apm is that Athlon
boards with via chipsets (not applicable to laptops) often crash&burn badly
if apm is even present in the kernel config (clock runs *real* fast, etc etc).

-- Pete