Date:      Fri, 17 Oct 2003 09:52:07 -0400
From:      "Dan Langille" <dan@langille.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>
Subject:   erorrs from spec_getpages

Hi,

Last night I did a buildworld.  This morning I found this:

$ cd
-bash: cd: /home/dan: Device not configured

looking at /, it was empty.

$ ls /home/
ls: /home/: Device not configured

Looking at the console, I found this:

http://beta.freebsddiary.org/tmp/mtwenty-console.jpg

I rebooted.  The system couldn't find the disk.  I replaced the IDE
drive.  Still no disk.  Checked the BIOS.  The disk wasn't listed so
I added it.  I also deactivated the floppy because it had been
removed yesterday.

A reboot was fine.  fsck went OK.  All seems well now.

I'm doing another buildworld, building some ports, and running cvsup
on my ports tree to create disk activity.

When that finishes, I'm going to run the manufacturer's test program
on the drive to see if any problems are found.

Was this a hardware failure?  System failure?  Any recommended
courses of action?

<please CC: me on all replies>
--
Dan Langille : http://www.langille.org/