Date:      Sat, 03 Oct 1998 11:36:19 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        Marty Cawthon <mrc@ChipChat.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Device Drivers for Linux and Intel's annoucement

At 01:23 PM 10/3/98 -0400, Marty Cawthon wrote:

>  It is impertinent for any of us to preach to Walnut Creek
>"How to run their business", unless we are an investor
>or an officer or possibly an employee of that company.

Why not? All companies need feedback from customers.

>  Consider: In a world dominated by Microsoft with DOS/Windows, as it
>is now, how difficult is it to convince:
>  A) A vendor to write a commercial application for BSD?
>     Difficult: Win32 is much different than Unix.

I'd argue that the answer is:

Very difficult; if you're not writing ro Win32, you'll be targeting
Linux. FreeBSD emulates Linux, so it's not important either to
target FreeBSD or support the use of one's product on that platform.
Let the die-hard holdouts who use anything other than Linux support
themselves.

>  Consider those same questions in a world where, let's say 30% of
>computers use Linux, and maybe 5% run BSD.
>  A) Easy for vendors to build a BSD version, code is similar.

They won't, because FreeBSD claims to run Linux binaries.

>  B) Easy for Corporate IT people to try BSD: Similar to Linux

They can't get supported commercial software that's targeted
for BSD (see above).

--Brett