Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 2009 23:13:31 -0400
From:      kalin m <kalin@el.net>
To:        Brent Bloxam <brentb@beanfield.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: serial modem

> I've no experience with serial modems, but having read the man pages I
> believe your remote(5) line is incorrect.
>
> sio0|com1:dv=/dev/cuad0:br#115200:pa=none:
>
> sets system names sio0 and com1, then you try to execute tip to
> connect to cuad0. Is there an entry for cuad0 in your /etc/remote? I'm
> confused as to why tip is returning 'unknown host tip0' however.
>
> Give `tip -v sio0` a shot, or change the system names in your
> /etc/remote line

yes the entry was wrong...   changed it. when i try to use tip i get
device busy. when i use cu it says connected but nothing else happens
and i don't see any prompts. it's like frozen. i can't type any AT
commands... nothing. i changed the baud rate around. all the way down to
9600. so now the same thing happens with tip. if used tip says connected
but i can not issue any commands...

the modem has 2 leds. one yellow and one green. according to the manual
the yellow should be blinking as follows:

Fast Blinking (0.5 sec on/0.5 sec off)  Net search/ Not
registered/Turning Off
Slow Blinking (0.3 sec on/ 2.7 sec off)  Registered, Full Service

i think i'm only seeing 'Fast Blinking'.....  i wonder what 'Net search'
really means and where it's searching for it. it's connected through a
RS-232 to the serial port...

?!?

thanks...