Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 21:45:20 +0200 (MESZ)
From:      Rainer M Duffner <Rainer.Duffner@surf24.de>
To:        David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: First time for my own PC hardware

On Wed 21 Jul, David Wolfskill wrote:

> Same asset-recovery shop had some ATX chassis/power supplies, so I
> picked one up.

Be sure to get a decent power-supply.
German c't magazine did a test some time ago.
Tough, the quality seems to have increased, compared from what I saw on
the test one year ago.

> Happened across a decent-seeming shop that had PC hardware during a
> freelance consulting gig, so I bought an ASUS P5A motherboard & some
> hardware to stuff in it.  (And a monitor, since the monitors I have are
> Sun monitors.)
>
> Got everything home, and found that "ATX" apparently doesn't mean that
> an "ATX" motherboard will necessarily fit in an "ATX" chassis.  :-(

Aren't there two types of ATX-standards ?
(The latest is ATX 2.01)
I don't visit http://www.tomshardware.com very often, but I'd expect to
find some answers on it.
(Note that all info on this page may be biased ("sponsors") or not.)

> And the motherboard seemed to be shy one jumper (for setting the
> voltage to the CPU core).  And neither the motherboard nor the chassis
> had any screws for attaching one to the other.

Duh !
They _should_ seriouly be there. Overwhise: complain !

> So I guess I get to take the chassis back, go to the place where I got
> the motherboard, get a chassis that fits, and get an extra jumper &
> some screws....

Yup.

> If I'm able to get the box put together, and if everything works, I
> think the result should be a dramatic improvement over the 3/60.  :-}

What an understatement ;-)

> (Since she's currently using tvtwm, I know I can support that under
> FreeBSD, 'cause that's what I'm using as I type this.  Maybe I'll try
> one of the fancier desktops... if I also get some additional memory for
> the box.  I'm currently using 32 MB on this desktop at work, so I
> thought that 64 MB for her machine should be reasonable.)

Yes. More than 64 MB is only good to speed-up make world -j 10 ;-)
I've got 64, and I can't complain.
Who cares if X takes 5 or 4 secound to start-up ?

> I keep getting the impression that PC hardware is ... quirky (to put it
> nicely).

No, but to get real, good hardware, one needs to spend more money than
the average super-market buyer will ever do. (in Germany, computers are
nowadays sold mostly in supermarkets, between cheese and fruit-juice, if
you want)

(My brother's Suse-Box: Gigabyte BXE/333P2/64MB/8MB Elsa/9GB IBMU/7200/)
All parts mail-orderd, as almost no shop carries that equipement in
stock, and even if, it would be insanely priced.

> No real questions (though suggestions are welcome); just thought I'd
> share (and rant) a little.

Hehe.
When we assembled my brother's PC, we had some trouble fitting the
PCI-cards, as the manufacturing tolerances added-up very
unfavourably...:-(  -- And it was a real good case, with a top
power-supply (169 DM, <90 USD)

BTW: I'll get a 'real' Sun, soon.
A friend got an old one at his job and has for now no time to play with
it. It is not as old as your 3/60, though. At least, I hope it.
Of course, I hope that when the 'lease period' is over, he has
completely lost interest in it, and I can buy it for a reasonable sum...

cheers,
Rainer
|Rainer Duffner, E-Mail: duffner@fh-konstanz.de  |
|                &   Rainer.Duffner@surf24.de    |
|Fachhochschule Konstanz, Germany                |
|"What's a Network ?"  - Bill Gates, early 1980s |
|   WWW:http://www-stud.fh-konstanz.de/~duffner  |