Date:      Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:19:19 -0700 (MST)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
To:        Peter Brezny <peter@sysadmin-inc.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: moving secondary name servers to primary

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Peter Brezny wrote:

> Is there an easy way to convert a secondary bind8 name server to a primary?
>
> I had hoped to just be able to change the designation in the named.conf file
> from type slave to type master, however when i look at the individual zone
> files, they 've got a lot of mish mash in there from being secondary files.

	Explain mish mash.. ;-)  You must be refering to the SOA portion
	of the zone file?  I've yet to see (or write) a tool that would do
	this conversion without pain, but I could put something together
	quick like.

	As far as the named.conf file, you should just be able to replace
	the slave line with type master and remove the excess stuff.  This
	does become tedious when you have hundreds of entries in
	named.conf.

	I usually just search and replace, etc,etc the hard way.  Maybe
	someone has a tool?

Nick Rogness
- Drive defensively.  Buy a tank.