Date:      Sun, 26 Jul 1998 13:17:46 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Robert Swindells <rjs@fdy2.demon.co.uk>, mike@smith.net.au
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD PCNet/FAST cards; suppliers?

On Sun, Jul 26, 1998 at 07:58:10PM +0100, Robert Swindells wrote:

> >> http://www.amd.com/products/npd/overview/19433f.pdf
>
> >So nobody manufactures an adapter featuring the PC-Net FAST device?
> >That's kinda depressing.  8(
>
> I didn't check all the web sites to see if anyone was selling any newer
> cards than on that list. You are the one that wants to buy one :-)
>
> Try Allied Telesyn. They have a 100Mb/s card, but don't indicate
> whether it is an AMD board. Boca Research are another to try.

Looking at the picture on their website, it seems to be an AMD.
I tried to download the drivers to look for more informations, but
they reject all anonymous logins. :-(

Boca Research is a DEC 21x4x card as far I can see that from the drivers.

I went through some of the other manufactors listed for the 10mbit cards,
but everone seems to use something else, mostly DEC.

> We are using the PCnet-FAST at work, but it is built into a motherboard.
>
> > > I have got a few patches to the driver that allow it to recognize the
> > > later chips. I'll send it in when I have tidied it up a bit.
>
> >Recognising isn't so much the battle as working with them.  But yes,
> >please do.  (File PR, naturally).
>
> The driver in stable works fine with both the PCnet PCI-II and the
> PCnet-FAST reference boards from AMD.
>
> I have added support for the extra registers on these boards, but I
> did it more to allow me to debug some flakey hardware than to use the
> extra functionality. If I get time, I will add mediaopt support.
>
> Robert Swindells

Regards, Ulf.