Date:      Mon, 5 Oct 1998 18:01:24 -0400 (EDT)
From:      peter@widgetworks.com
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Need help setting up audio under FreeBSD

I have a WinBook XL that I'm trying to set up audio running under
2.2.7.  I've never set up audio under FreeBSD before, so I could be
missing something very obvious.

The machine has a Yamaha OPL-3 sound chip and I've already
re-configured the kernel to use that chip.  I have the following lines
in my Kernel config:

controller snd0
device opl0 at isa? port 0x388

The following lines appear on startup:

opl0 at 0x388 on isa
opl0: <Yamaha opl-3 FM>

I did a 'makedev snd0' and it created the following audio devices for
me: music0, sndstat, mixer0, sequencer0, midi0, dsp0, audio0, dspW0 as
well as softlinks audio, etc.  It did *not* create snd*. (Is it
supposed to?)

However, whenever I go to access the device (/dev/audio or /dev/dsp)
using mpg123 or the KDE tools, I get the following error:

SoundCard Error: The soundcard system has not been configured.

I've searched the net and looked through the kernel sources, but I
just have not been able to come up with anything on this.  ANy
suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Peter Johansson
peter@widgetworks.com