Date:      Sun, 02 Mar 1997 16:52:30 -0800
From:      Jason Wells <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        George Hegyes <ceo@internetuniverse.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need some help with ethernet card configuration

George Hegyes wrote:

> I am having a impossible time getting my ethernet card to work with
> freeBSD. The system reports ed0 timeout on boot up and shutdown. Here
> are the facts from my setup.
>
> freeBSD version 2.1.6 I have it on cdrom
>
> machine info
>
> Pentium 90 with one hard drive configured completely for freeBSD, the
> harddrive is IDE. A Creative Labs cdrom set as the slave on the IDE.
> One printer and two serial ports.
>
> The ethernet card is an LINKSYS Ether 16 Lan Card (Plug & Play) this
> card is NE2000 COMPATIBLE.

I have the same card set at IRQ 10 and IO x300. It works like a champ.

> The card is set at 0x300 on irq 10, the system is linked to an windows
> 95 machine with Thin Coax Cable with terminators.
>
> I can not get the cards (I have tried several including two differnt
> brands) to come up without a timeout error.
>
> I have configured the card using the software that came with them, I
> have
> set the mode from Plug & Play to Jumperless.

Your setup software seems a bit different than mine. I used the DOS
utility to manually set the IRQ and IO to the above specs. I can not
comment on any plug & pray configurations. I personally have had nothing
but bad luck with plug & fray.

> There are no reported conflicts that I know of, I have placed the "?" in
> the irq area in the kernals configuation file, the kernal builds without
> a problem.

Put the IRQ and IO into your entry for ed0 into the kernel and recompile
the kernel. Look at /sys/i386/conf/LINT for proper syntax.

Also, try booting the machine using -c at the "boot:" prompt. Then type
"visual" at the next prompt. This will let you see if there are any
IRQ/IO conflicts.

I also recommend commenting out all of the dozen or so ethernet cards
that are in your kernel if you do not need them.

--
 __   __
/ 0\ / 0\         Thank you * Highperformance.net